Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
Did he take the photo himself, too?
No, but he did grow the corn! All technical issues in this case are my own. I think I overdid the tilt; some of the pepper-tree leaves and part of the garden bed are in focus, but I missed the corn heads in between.

I'll probably set him up with a 35mm camera on holiday this summer. For the large-format stuff I've got plate cameras that are compact enough for him to help with in a reasonable way; but this is from an 8x10 with a 21" lens, and you have to rack that thing WAY out to focus on anything closer than, like, Neptune. I couldn't reach the front standard from under the darkcloth, and I'm 6'2" with long arms.

I was a little older than he is now when my dad had a darkroom in the basement, and I remember having a great time in there, being curious about the different chemicals and thinking the safelight and the glow-in-the-dark timers were really fascinating. I think I need to switch back to an acid fixer now, because the smell of rapid fixer is one of my favorite memories of that time, and I don't think anyone is going to form heartwarming happy memories around the ammoniac scent of TF-4!

-NT