Quote Originally Posted by smieglitz View Post
You cannot totally get away from using ether in the process. Collodion is nitrated cotton (nitrocellulose) dissolved in a solution of diethyl ether and grain alcohol. Both ether and alcohol are needed to dissolve the nitrocellulose. Ether or alcohol alone won't do it. Commercial collodion already has ether in it.

You can substitute 190 proof grain alcohol or some brands of denatured alcohol for any additional ether called for in popular formulas for wetplate photography but, the properties of the working salted collodion will change to some degree. The changes may include longer setting times, different viscosity, texture, etc. Not necessarily bad changes, but different.

exactly !

umut

i went to a factory that produced collodion .. the addition of ether ( at least for their uses )
was the last step ... after the linens were nitrated ... they were washed / rinsed thoroughly and then
soaked in alcohol to remove the remainder of the water ... then they were dissolved in ether ...

if you buy your collodion pre-made, make sure it isn't "flexible collodion" that you can get in some of the pharmacies
( at least here in the usa ) it has camphor and other things in it that will foul-up your photographic uses ..

if you decide to make dry plates in your 35mm camera contact me, i have made some dry plate tintypes inmy 35mm camera and it is a piece of cake!

goodluck !
john