Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
I do not agree with Tom.

Reflective
You can use reflective reading for color print, color slides and black & white film. I have done that for only five decades. Dome off. Aim the light meter at the subject from where you will be taking the photograph. Do not aim it to include the sky [or much of it] because that will cause the light meter to believe that the scene is brighter than it is.

Incident
With the dome on, stand at the subject's position and aim the light meter towards the camera. This can be used for color print, color slides and black & white photography.

I prefer the reflective measurement, but I will use the incident meter for photographic studios, or when the scene is mostly white [snow] or mostly dark since reflective reading are not accurate when the scene is very bright or very dark.

Do not use the dome for a reflective reading, even though there are some at APUG that believe that is the thing to do. I have thoroughly researched that subject on the internet, at Kodak and at many photographic libraries.
Mostly, I agree with Sirius on this, although ....

1) I use incident metering at least half the time, and sometimes all of the time.
2) You can use incident light measurement if you are able to move the meter to where the light hitting it is the same as the light hitting your subject. So even if you cannot get to the subject, you may still be able to use an incident reading.
3) To the best of my knowledge, I've never read anywhere on APUG where someone has recommended using an incident dome to take a reflected light reading. Where there is some dispute, however, is whether to use a dome (or something else) when an incident reading is taken, and whether it is better to point the dome at the camera, or at the source of light.

For someone new to using a hand meter in incident mode, I would recommend using the dome and holding it at the subject's position, pointed toward the camera.