I second Michael's point, that fogging test is by far unsatisfactory. In other words, even if your safelight does not fog paper, it is (likely) to be still unsafe, as it will cause a pre-exposure that will reduce overall contrast or make identical repeat exposures almost impossible—what you see in test strips will not match what you get from the actual print. I strongly recommend you do not test the safelight just to see if it fogs, for example using the common, yet flawed "coin test". You need to run a simple test that includes making an actual white light pre-exposure to check for impact of the safelight. The links that Michael has shared will help, especially the Kodak procedure.

I've helped several friends get rid of their various issues, like "I can't get contrast right" etc, by doing a proper, with the pre-exposure, test.

By the way, too bright-yet-safe is quite possible with the new forms of lighting, especially LED+filter, but it makes focusing, cropping, and dodging and burning a bit hard, unless you keep switching the safelight off and on.