The problem is that there is a sea change going on that is impossible to stop.

With the advent of a camera in everything, there are cameras everywhere in our lives. The big ticket images are on the endangered list.

This has happened in other fields, and is happening in photography now.

My family ran painting companies for years, as the Home Depots of the world expanded, we did less and less business as people painted their own homes, however badly. They accepted dismal results in the name of saving money.

We needed to feed our families as well. We retreated into commercial properties only, as the unstoppable tide swept on. The improvement in paints now, and more properly, referred to as coatings required less frequent painting.

What was year wound business became seasonal.

Our family has not painted for years. Fortunately I was young enough to move on, and the others held on long enough to retire.

What was a very good paying trade is now populated by people who make no more than we did over 30 years ago.

So I fear it is with photography.

I am not trying to be heartless or cruel. I have long since lost track of how many jobs, and career paths I have had. Not because I wanted to, but because it meant survival. Most of the places I have worked, no longer exist. (Hopefully it wasn't me... ;-)

I love photography, I always have. I likely always will. But I expect more of these stories, not fewer.