I did for over 20 years at my current location. Finally threw in the towel and canceled when they gutted the paper to the point I couldn't get any real news out of the thing.

They stopped covering international news. Then they largely stopped covering national news. They shrank, then eliminated the editorial pages (my favorite). And the comics. Then they shrank the physical size of the paper itself. They continually reduced the remaining local-only "news" coverage. About all that was left was stories about whether we should have red light ticketing cameras near the elementary schools. I needed a little more than that and the high school football scores.

A few years ago I walked up to the paper's booth at the local state fairgrounds. The girl there said they were soliciting suggestions for improving the paper. I replied, how about start by putting back some real news stories. And the editorials. And the comics. She just stared at me. Apparently better content was not a checkbox on her form.

Or, more telling...

I know someone who applied for a software development job at The Seattle Times. Was told the interview was going along great until the question was asked, "Do you prefer to read the news online or on paper?" When the answer was "mostly online, but sometimes it's still really nice to sit down with a real printed newspaper on a Saturday morning" the interview was essentially over. And not with a positive outcome.

When the newspapers themselves do not even have faith in their own product they have sealed their own fates.

And yes, there are parallels here...

Ken