Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
Curiously, I have found that using a big camera on a tripod makes me "invisible" when doing street photography. I'm "part of the furniture" rather than an annoying pest that buzzes after people with a camera fixed to my face.

I set up by prefocussing and framing on an promising spot, shop window, ticket booth, fountain, and the like, where interesting looking people may do quirky things. I watch the unfolding scene attentively but casually and I never look at anyone through the camera. Sometimes the reflection in the lens filter tells me my "target" is in the right spot. Because I fuss with the camera controls, make meter readings, occasionally press the cable release, wind the film while standing in front of the camera, no one is certain when I have made an exposure or who has been photographed; not even the small, easily bored, transient crowd that gathers to watch what I do!

My most "conspicuous" camera is the Mamiya RB 67, a TLR is even less visible, and the 8x10 view camera may as well not be there at all. I guess the "street" psychology is that when the camera does not "chase" it's not a predator in pursuit of prey
Shooting with tripod seems to catch less attention than handheld. I think it is because handheld you can point fast at anybody and shoot. With tripod they know they will not be in the picture if they don't stand in front of it. (even though sometimes I use wade angle lenses and they think they are not in the shot but they are).

What really makes people stop and stand still looking at me is when I bring my pinhole camera to streets. People always ask what I am doing.