Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
Mark - It's got nuthin' whatsoever to do with elitism or looking for grain. I'm talking about a viewing public who often knows exactly zero about
the technical aspect of the craft. You give them a rich print and, if not immediately, over time they start appreciating the nuances and details.
And that has been exactly my experience for decades. They do put their noses right up to them. A big print from small format can be quite
effective, but it has to accomplish this with a different strategy set. Most of the time, what I see are simply "wannabee" prints, blown up big
simply because inkjet now makes it so easy technically. Most people have no idea of what a "good" print looks like - they're used to advertising displays and web images. Subjective indeed, just like food. ... but junk food is far more prolific than good food.
Drew,

I do think we owe it to ourselves to be happy with the output we generate, and that it is an important criteria. Again, that's personal and subjective. When I print I do work very hard to come up with a print that is convincing, in whatever scale I choose (or as it rarely happens, how the customer wants it). Whatever comes out of my darkroom is the very best I could manage with what I've accumulated in knowledge over the time I have been a darkroom printer. I hate fast food, and I prefer photographs that tell me something, make me feel something, or make me think - preferably well printed, but that is #2 on my list.

But at the same time I try very hard to not let the camera that I used to take the picture constitute a limitation on how big I print. There are a lot of important and meaningful photographs that could never be captured with an 8x10 camera, but where 35mm was basically the only choice. I think we owe it to ourselves to consider also those pictures for whatever size print there is demand for, unless we feel we should pass it up for some sort of artistic reason (nothing wrong with that). Looking at Salgado or McCurry, I doubt selling murals of their 35mm b&w neg or Kodakchrome film has done their reputation any harm.

Wouldn't it be cool to have a 5x7 camera that handles like a Leica?