Quote Originally Posted by zsas View Post
To add one more asside to my above post, one of the folks I admire, Bill Schwab, spoke at a Apug meetup last summer and he said to, "Get out there, photograph, get to know your community....". I believe this photog in question is living those virtues, how on earth can I judge the success of his work? This might be the 1st of a life long body of work....

It's bad sentiment that artists hear over and over that makes some hide their art for fear of the jury (just think of the fear Maier had of folks seeing, judging her work).....
I hear what you're saying, Zsas. It's a very warm sentiment and it makes me feel a smidge bad about the things I wrote. We all start somewhere and flop around trying to find our vision, voice, etcetera, and some of us never really find it. So far, this describes me. But I think the flip side of it is that if there is no criticism, no calling a spade a spade, then the really good stuff gets lost in the blur because nobody can/will differentiate gimmicky crap from art.

Just my two cents. I wonder what the OP thinks about all this. Or what his Maine Coon would say if it could and more importantly if it cared.