I'd dispute that by HCB's day that cameras were an uncommon novelty. Remember that Kodak had already become the industrial juggernaut it was before WW II, and it did so by putting cameras in the hands of common people - "you push the button, we'll do the rest". So photography wasn't a novelty anymore. Frankly, I'd argue that the Civil War documentary efforts and cardomania in the mid-19th century ended the novelty factor of photography. I think it was just the zeitgeist of the mid-20th century that allowed people to be more trusting of the use of images. Today, with instantaneous global distribution, and extremely easy manipulation of images, the possibility for use or misuse of your image in a way you wouldn't like or approve appears to be much greater. In reality, the probability that it will be used/misused is about the same, but with global, instantaneous distribution channels, the probability of your discovering it is now exponentially greater, thus the apparent increase in misuse/abuse. I think it also connects to some degree with the whole notion of anything online should be free for any and all to use as they see fit. It's a bit paradoxical, that people want to be able to use others' content for free, but are more afraid of their own content being abused without compensation.