As mentioned in a different thread, I am going to be doing some hiking in the Canadian Rockies this summer (hoping to go here and here). The Photographers Ephemeris indicates that when I will be there (late August), the moon will be up during the day and could be incorporated in a lot of shots. Since I plan on shooting early mornings/late evenings in order to get the golden hour light, I am concerned about excessive overexposure of the sky/mountain peaks as the sun rises/sets. The logical solution is graduated neutral density (GND) filters but I am trying to understand how to compensate for them. The majority of the film being used will be FP4+ and maybe some Tri-X.

Assuming the ground/trees/shadows are placed on III or IV (depending on the situation), the sky might read IX or X (it could be higher, who knows?) so I need to drop the highlights 1-2 zones. I would already have a yellow/orange/red filter screwed on (again, depending on the situation and desired outcome although I am concerned an orange/red filter might be too strong for early morning sunlight and blow-out highlights; thoughts?). Is this really as simple as slapping a 1-2 stop GND on the front of the filter and processing normally? I would likely be using some form of the Lee/Cokin filter system and realize I need to adjust the filter up/down to the desired location on the image.

For some reason, I think there would be a localized area of decreased contrast where the GND is and thus, I would need to increase development time to compensate. But, then I have overdeveloped the rest of the image, so I should have decreased exposure and allowed it to be slightly pushed into the desired spot. Or I could develop normally and burn in with on grade 5 in the darkroom? Or perhaps I should not use the GND since I am not shooting colour and use minus-develop to get the appropriate zones? But I am not a big fan of N-2 or more of development as I find it leaves a very difficult image to get enough contrast in the final print.

Am I over-thinking this? I think this could apply to a lot of other landscape photos scenarios as well. Thanks in advance.