I basically agree with what you are saying, but let me take a few quotes partially out of context:
Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
One of the resources that darkroom based photographers use a lot of is water. If you think fighting over oil and energy is bad, wait until we have poisoned our ground water to the extent that we can't drink it anymore. I'm not saying that photography is to blame for that, but it will be a more scarce resource in years to come
As far as digital photography is concerned, it isn't just the manufacture of cameras that we should worry about. Memory cards, camera batteries need recharging AND replacing, you need a computer to view the pictures and to 'process' them, and backup hard drives to store them. Don't forget the energy spent by servers in cloud based storage (conservatively, 4% of our nation's energy goes to data centers), and the energy spent by those who look at the pictures, and transmit them from one storage point to another to do so. If you want prints you need a printer, with consumables such as ink and paper. All of those items (except the paper) are made from materials that constitute a danger to the environment, (although I'm sure it isn't friendly to make inkjet paper either).
Electronics in landfills has potential ground-water consequences. It is easy for a government to regulate the actual manufacturing plants (so long as they are based in a country that cares); not as easy to regulate the end-user. By coming up with more "benign" components at point of manufacture (as the film industry did years ago) we take the unreliable consumers (such as ourselves) out of the equation to a degree - so being careless when disposing of certain items becomes a smaller issue. Styrofoam fast-food boxes went through this, and plastic bags (opposed to paper) are going through this now.

As for Kodak and digital, my opinion is that they were fighting a losing battle by trying to compete with companies that were well established in consumer electronics. They could have been (and may still) be able to be successful in the market if they didn't try to jump in with both feet and do it so quickly.

On a tangent, and I'm not saying film fits the same roll, but in a way film reminds me of ink-jet printers as far as where the money is for the manufacturer