Quote Originally Posted by Truzi View Post
I basically agree with what you are saying, but let me take a few quotes partially out of context:

Electronics in landfills has potential ground-water consequences. It is easy for a government to regulate the actual manufacturing plants (so long as they are based in a country that cares); not as easy to regulate the end-user. By coming up with more "benign" components at point of manufacture (as the film industry did years ago) we take the unreliable consumers (such as ourselves) out of the equation to a degree - so being careless when disposing of certain items becomes a smaller issue. Styrofoam fast-food boxes went through this, and plastic bags (opposed to paper) are going through this now.

As for Kodak and digital, my opinion is that they were fighting a losing battle by trying to compete with companies that were well established in consumer electronics. They could have been (and may still) be able to be successful in the market if they didn't try to jump in with both feet and do it so quickly.
On a tangent, and I'm not saying film fits the same roll, but in a way film reminds me of ink-jet printers as far as where the money is for the manufacturer
I agree that electronics are a ground water hazard, I just didn't want to pin it all on photography, as I'm sure you understand.

My point is, though, that even though the film photography industry has cleaned up a lot of its act, we still use a tremendous amount of resources to do our work, and I said so to bring some balance to the discussion. ALL photographers bear responsibility to think about the environmental impact their practice has.

Part two was about bringing forth some aspects of digital photography that is not often discussed - the power required to operate the camera and the computer is just one portion of the big picture. Servers in data centers consume enormous amounts of energy, and what happens to that hardware after it wears out? The waste problem is gigantic. The largest man made structure on Earth is the waste dump at Killdevil Hills in New York State. The Western worls (most of it) exports trash to other countries in Africa. These are problems of gigantic proportions. Once the toxic substances leak into the soil and the ground water, it will be near impossible to clean. Imagine what that will do for ALL life on Earth that depends on it! It is a time bomb waiting to go off.