Your responses all make sense, to a greater or lesser extent, and I have learned something here.

Amazingly, people on this forum do NOT know 'of me' or 'who I am' and, therefore MUST adhere to a generic doubtfulness with regards to the human race, as a whole. This cautionary, even exessively cautionary, mindset is not detrimental to our very survival (and perhaps even enhances it). Who am I to think that I am so noble and to be treated without scrutiny? Again, I did learn something here.

Why did I think otherwise? Honestly, I have been going to camera shows for decades and, really and truly, I do not care what the dealer says about his item being considered for my purchase, other than it is not stolen. I know 'what I buy' so intimately that my personal inspection suffices for my needs. I am rarely wrong, but I stay away from stuff that I do not know, as my ignorance does terrify me. (In numismatics my ignorance terrifies me more because of the money involved.)

I guess I tended to project this thinking onto the population at large. At first, I thought that this might simply be a grand attack upon me for personal reasons but, reading carefully all of your angst, I now get the impression that many of you are genuinely afraid of what you will buy next because you have suffered being taken advantage of in the past and know well how easy it is to fall victim once again. I did not have those fears because I know what I buy, always. I should have been more introspective.

As far as 'ruining my reputation' goes, I could have posed these questions anonymously. I chose not to because I am rather secure with what people think about me who know my face. Posing this original question can also be taken in a theorectical sense and does not have to segue into an 'actual transaction intended to deceive', assumption.

zsas: I honestly do not know if I would really bother giving information concerning previous professional servicing. Why? What transpired after that servicing just might delegitimatize the good work done. In fact, 'the good work done' might have been done on an 'off day'. Time might reveal this fact. Telling of the 'good servicing' thus might be counterproductive towards the good will intended. So, I guess the simple 'yes' or 'no' you ask for might be, essentially, 'no, not necessarily'. Who really knows the FULL story of a camera or lens? - David Lyga