I'll have to look into that. When was this work done?

What sort of techniques and calculations would Altman/Henn been using in their famous developer study (1950s)?

Of course I suspected much more had been done on this after the initial work. The problem is for the most part none of us know of any of that stuff, nor is anyone in the position to run such tests at this point. So I figured I would tackle the traditional or "classical" notions of acutance, edge effects, resolution, and granularity without a unified field theory of image structure. The reason is that these are the ways formulators and laymen have referred to the working characteristics of developers and developed negatives, and still do (rightly or wrongly).

Where I'm ultimately going with all this is to suggest acutance as it has traditionally been characterized by people (ie edge sharpness of "grains") is virtually meaningless in the selection of a developer. There are a variety of reasons for this. I just don't think it makes much sense when people talk about a certain developer giving a sharp edge to a grain vs an etched edge. Among other things, Haist's discussion regarding the formation of metallic silver during development, and the microscopic images of developed silver would seem to suggest this notion of etching = unsharp image is rather silly.