That would be pretty important given how much there is about Crawley's developers in the FDC. On the other hand Iodide was only in the FX1 formula as far as I know (although it may have been in some of his Paterson FX and/or Acu developers).

What is your view on current films (including tabular-grain emulsions) vs older style films when it comes to how readily they produce edge effects in general? Some people have said films like TMax for example "resist" the formation of edge effects even in highly dilute developers. Is there any truth to this?

Edge effects are one thing, "grain etching" by sulfite is another. That's the effect I question when it comes to the relative acutance (ie excluding edge effects) of low pH solvent vs high pH non-solvent developers. Simply put, I don't see how the grain etching argument makes much sense when it comes to image structure. For one thing the scale is too small if we're talking about individual grains. Then there is the fact the shape of a grain is only barely maintained under typical development circumstances. Then, even where the overall shape of the grain is maintained, most development results in the formation of filamentary silver, so the edges of what was the silver halide grain have a rough appearance anyway.