Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
Okay so contact your 35mm prints so no one can possibly perceive any grain regardless of how close they go.

Or realize that it's up to the viewer ultimately and if they want to diminish the experience by staring at any grain then that's they're problem. It does not obviate printing at some nebulous "no visible grain" enlargement size.
Not enlarging 35mm slides to 40 inches by 60 inches=contacting printing.

Are you sure there is no middle ground in there?

I would like to see which quote you are referring to that was demanding "no visible grain" or is there a fire sale on strawmen this week?

There are some really thin skinned people around here. I have seen people post on the internet that they would not enlarge a medium format negative beyond 11"x14". If you think this conversation is extreme my advice is to rip your ethernet cable out of the wall because you don't want to see what else is out there.

Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
So what if the viewer can walk up to the print, doesn't mean I "need" to give them a reason to.
I never said you needed to. I was responding to the false statement that people don't move around and approach art. They quite obviously do. It is up to you whether you give them more to look at. I choose to most of the time just because of my workflow and my final print size preferences.

Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
I have a few paintings my mom did way back when, beatiful, simple, low detail. The only thing gained by getting real close is the ability to see the brush strokes. Only a brush stroke style snob/geek would care.
That's probably why I was talking about Renaissance murals I've seen in museums and not your mom's paintings. You could cut an 11"x14" rectangle out of those murals, frame them, and hang them as a pieces of art in their own right. You could stand four feet away from the 11"x14" section and admire it without having to look at "brush strokes."

Why do people make these statements on the internet? I was going to museums and looking at various kinds of art long before this website existed. I had to come here to learn a) no one approaches art b) if you are standing four feet away from a detailed Renaissance mural you are a "brush stroke snob."

Sorry guys I had to do a bit of clean up. What I said was mischaracterized and some flat out false quotes were attributed to me. This business of contacting printing 35mm negatives and "brush stroke snobs" is just way too hyperbolic.