Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
I have all of Fred Pickers Notes, in the 70's and 80's I worked at photography as a printer and lived and died by his notes and some of the photo mags of the time. It was my only connection to the outside world of photography.
She is of an era even before the FP notes and she worked it seems relentlessly at exposing film, Was there a photo culture in Chicago at that time ??
In the 1950s people like Harry Callahan and Aaron Siskind were teaching at the Institute of Design in Chicago, where one of the founding directors was László Moholy-Nagy. Ray Metzker was one of the students there in the mid to late 1950s. There was a lot of strong and innovative photography being produced in Chicago in that era, and I would assume there was a wider awareness of it in the city, but don't have any evidence for that. I think art and photography magazines would have been the main source of information for the general public back then. It would be interesting to see what publications were available in Chicago and the types of articles that were included in them.