Quote Originally Posted by Lionel1972 View Post
Just saw the BBC documentary. Awe inspiring to say the least! My jaw dropped at the sight of many of her photos that I had never seen before. All of them touched me in a way or another. Especially when you get to see some of them in sequence from the same roll. Her hit rate was truly phenomenal! She was not a pro, and thus couldn't afford the luxury of shooting rolls after rolls on a subject, trying to get lucky. She pre-edited her work in her mind by making each frame count. That's why I hope we can get to see an as much complete body of work of hers as possible. To my mind she is the essence of a pure artist, working only for her own satisfaction. Discovering her and her work is a tremendous lucky event in the history of photography. I believe her recognition will only grow with time. She documented a place and time with a unique eye like no other photographer, no matter how talented or recognized, could. Her body of work is priceless.
Wow. I thought it was terrible. The only person with any authority (on the medium at least) was Meyerowitz and he barely said a thing. The collectors were money grabbing idiots with no insights and the people who knew her... all they could say was "she was antisocial" and to be honest, they came across that way themselves. The only time my interest piqued was when they actually showed a bit of the exhibition, like you say, with whole rolls printed large on the wall as contact strips. Perfect way of illustrating a day in the life of an obsessive photographer, and got me thinking about this as a presentation form in general. However, that was 30 seconds of an hour long programme. I'm non the wiser.

Compare it with this one on William Klein, also by Imagine and a really entertaining and informing watch. One of the best photography documentaries I've seen. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnN9LMvjM7Y

You could tell they were really scraping the bottom of the barrel to make the Maier film.