Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
There can be bad scans and there can be bad copy negatives. It all depends on the skill of the person doing the job. Pick your poison.
And I do NOT have enough film to copy even the best of these. And have never copied film onto film so I'm fairly confident my scans will be better than what I'd do with film.

Until 2 years ago, these negs were who-knows-where in my grandmother's house. It's a 1832 brick house with no AC. I doubt it was ever below 70 degrees (the recommended high temp for temporary storage). The dates on the envelopes range from 1890 to 1940. None are yellowed much, none are bubbly in the least. According to one chart I saw, which had level 1 as no damage and level 5 as the worst, these are 1 or maybe near 2 (only some).

As far as contacting the historical society in the town where the family lived, I don't know how well that would work. It's a small town where the negs were and my parents brought them down here. I may contact the historical society after I'm done, but they have no resources to help me.

I tried to find a conservator and struck out. I also guess they'd charge a huge amount because of how many these are.

What format would have made an image 83mm by 140mm? Those frames were shot in 1912 and really look like they had been on a roll based on the crookedness of some ends (making the film about 90mm wide?) I think there's a roll film holder with the RB Auto-Graphlex?