Hello again Mr Pixel ... back before I could afford my own color darkroom, or even large format film, one trick I'd use when projecting slides was
was to use a slightly gray neutral gray background rather than an ordinary white projector screen. By tricking the eye in this manner, the
saturation of hues seemed to pop a lot more. One still thought white was white, but it no longer glared and competed. ... same reason many
museums choose a light neutral gray wall paint, though in this case they have to absorb the cold tones of ambient surrounding light, so generally add something to created an subtle warm neutral, which cumulatively comes out looking neutral gray, even though it isn't. During my
ole color consultant days I worked up formulas for a few museums. In one instance they failed to rotate their inventory and had an ancient
5-gal bucket which they wanted to use up before ordering more. So they decided to use it in the back room just in case there was some kind
of mismatch. Now it turns out the paint had gone completely rancid and stunk like sour milk, and that the room they used it in held the
central air conditioner for the entire museum, where the air intake was! So they had to shut the whole thing down for two weeks, paint over
the stinky paint with shellac, and air everything out. I was pretty humorous (not for them, and I'm sure the painter was looking for a new
employer!).