Quote Originally Posted by Darkroom317 View Post
I use these reels. I also cut the taped end of the film diagonally.

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/55043-...eveloping-Reel

They work far better for 120 than the patterson reels which I find impossible to load.
To the OP:
Your problem is quite simple. There is only one "T" in Paterson. If you don't spell their name properly, they misbehave.

I agree with Darkroom317. The extra wide flanges mean that the reels he recommends work well for me, while the Paterson reels give me fits.

Those Arista Premium reels are available under a number of names. In my case, they came branded as "AP". It may be that the Samigon reels you are referring to are the same as the Arista Premium/AP reels.

In addition to relying on the wider flanges, I involve the tape that attaches the film to the backing paper in my loading procedure.

I first unroll the entire roll, topping when I encounter the tape.

I then carefully peel the tape from the backing paper, leaving it attached to the film.

I then fold the tape over the end of the film, leaving a film edge that is rendered more stiff - that is the edge I feed first into the reel.

I start the film into the reel by first inserting it into the reel until it reaches the bearings. I then pull that edge an inch or so past the bearings.

I then advance the film fully into the reel using the ratcheting procedure. Alex Muir is right - it is important to avoid pushing the sides of the reel together, as they must be parallel to each other.

And Rick A is correct - there is no way I could load these reels in a changing bag. If necessary, night is your friend. Film on loaded reels in a tank will happily wait for one or more days before you develop it.

As for SS reels, I can load them, but can't use the clips. So the film doesn't stay put when I use my homemade rotary processing.