Quote Originally Posted by laroygreen View Post
@Matt King: They are lucky I chose not to really express myself . As for the bending back tape, I tried it once, and all the film in that batch had dissolved tape over it. Not sure why, it might have been because the film I tried it on was old so maybe the tape was close to decaying already.
So did bending the taped end work for you as far as loading? My professionally developed film comes back with the tape still on it. Try some new film. By the way I do all this on the couch in a dark bag watching TV on days with 90% outside humidity.

Quote Originally Posted by laroygreen View Post
@Matt King: They are lucky I chose not to really express myself . As for the bending back tape, I tried it once, and all the film in that batch had dissolved tape over it. Not sure why, it might have been because the film I tried it on was old so maybe the tape was close to decaying already.

Consensus seems to be (other than trying to fix the infernal things) the SS reels. They look harder to me...
Your instincts are partially correct. They may not be harder but they have their own set of difficulties. Sometimes people do better with one versus the other but with enough practice people seem to use both. There is no silver bullet. The thing about SS reels is if you use a film with a sturdy base like TMAX 100 and you get it started correctly it pretty much loads itself. The problem I had was getting it started straight and denting thinner base emulsions like Fuji Acros. You have to bend the film in two axis to load it. I consistently ended up with semicircle dents all over my Acros. Wasn't a problem with TMAX.