Quote Originally Posted by Noble View Post
That is your choice. I wasn't trying to command anyone to shoot in any particular way. What I was commenting on is if you want to stalk and photograph a stranger's children without so much as a hello or introduction you have to expect that eventually you will run into someone who objects. And given enough time you will come across someone who objects in an inappropriate way. It is just hyperbolic to claim such a situation is illustrative of some kind of downward spiral of urban society and that it makes you physically ill. Play the game any way you want but when you throw snake eyes don't complain.

I shoot suriptiously sometimes. I don't do it with children. But I know if I am caught someone might object. That's just part of the game.
Sure, it is like stalking game. We enjoy the hunt. Weegee wrote about that. We just don't intend to hurt / kill as the real hunter does. But we all have the same excitement getting a nice shot, freezing time, etc. The non photog maybe does not realize this. If they did, they would not think much about what we do. Just as we usually don't when we see another devotee of the camera.

But it can turn out ugly. I read one gal got killed in Hollywood for shooting a beggar. A fight errupted when she would not pay for her cell phone photo and she got stabbed. But as I read more about it, it seemd her mouth may have been a big factor, more so than not paying 50 cents. But I don't have all the facts.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...-fame/2439811/

If someone is worried about street, they should ask first or do some other form of freezing time. No one is arguing that every situation is different and trouble can errupt. If and when your not comfortable, don't do it.