Quote Originally Posted by zsas View Post
But that attitude that one can solve a riddle with a more mainstream route (ie agitation, Dilution, paper grade), doesn't mean that we shouldn't promote the OP from finding say a 5th varriable....

I am seeing many folks here who are Rodinal users (myself included) not too keen on the idea of using salted water....but we cant discourage the question from being raised and experiments done since we might find the exploration pointless. I thank many of those "this salt business is a dumb idea" have caused a Negative vibe from a great theory....just because there is a list of Apug-polarizing-terms (eg stand, pyrocat, lomo, etc) doesn't need we can't encourage thought...
We should not be so quick to shout NO to new or unusual approaches to working with analog processes. When I first tried Caffenol printing in 2007, I was told on this very forum that the idea was a complete waste of time. I suppose the votes are still out on that, but over the last six years, Caffenol has become my primary paper developer. It is the spirit of experimentation over these years which has allowed me to adjust my formula and process to raise the quality of my Caffenol work above random, haphazard results to controllable, consistent prints. I can and do make "traditional" silver prints on a regular basis, but it is my caffenol work which catches the eye of gallery owners and these are by far the prints in my portfolio which sell. When I first began working with this process it seemed that I was all alone; now there are dozens of fine printers pushing the process beyond anything I imagined when I first began. Had I listened to the nay-sayers when I first posed the question, I would never have experienced the great joy I have in this process.

Cheers,
Tom