Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
EvH, I do take issue with you on the use of grease to hold the screw on the driver. While I use that method all the time on working on machinery, autos, and the like. But when working with cameras, a wee dab of grease gets on your fingers and goes a long way. Seem like no amount of washing your fingers keeps it from getting all over the project, or it seems that way. I put a wee dab of hot glue on the driver, wait a few seconds and stick it in the screw slot. Holds tight, and after you get the screw started, the dab of hardened glue knocks right off. And no grease.
I live literally with grease and grime on my hands, but when working with cameras, it just doesn't mix at all.
Well, I mentioned the grease as a means without considering it's suitability for cameras. As a watchmaker, I file and stone the screwdrivers to properly fit whatever screw they're used on, if needs be. The screws are cleaned with the rest of the watch parts, the screwholes are cleaned by screwing a peg in and out, the slots are pegged clean and the screw is then replaced by placing it with a tweezers in it's hole and tightening. Wherever possible i put the slightest hint of oil on the threads, there are places in a watch where you can't do this.

I handle all small screws with tweezers, whether it's going in a watch, a camera, or whatever. Saves fumbling. I can write a short treatise on tweezers, their design and construction, if you like... I make my own sometimes because you can no longer find some of the special types watchmakers once used.