Same experience here. I bought 5 or 6 rolls several years back, shot a few of them and was disappointed. The rest have been in the freezer since except for one
I pulled out a few weeks ago to use as a test roll. I just never had good results with it. Ektar is my favorite C41. I use Portra when I need 400 and sometimes 160 when appropriate for the subject matter. My all time favorites were E100G and E100VS though. Too bad they're gone. I don't shoot much E6 any more now.

Quote Originally Posted by idleroux View Post
I haven't used it in several years, but looking back at my 400H old pictures I notice two things:

1. The shadows drop out abruptly with careless exposure or under difficult (high-contrast) conditions. This might have more to do with the processing and scanning than with the film (I was using a commercial service, since I don't do my own C41 processing), but it tends to support the point Rolfe Tessem made: meter carefully or allow 1/3-2/3 stop extra exposure as a safety margin.

2. I don't like what 400H does to greens. It renders purples and yellows beautifully. This is a matter of taste, and it's not surprising given 400H's original market as a (wedding) portrait film, but it's worth bearing in mind when matching film to subject.