When I first got started in photography, in the early 90s, I burned through hundreds of rolls of film. I bulk-loaded black and white (which I could process at school myself), and for color I shot slides, buying expired rolls of Kodachrome and Extachrome for $1 each at local camera shops. At that time my school would process E6 films as part of the course fee, so I took advantage of that and effectively had my E6 done for free. And the Kodachrome? I lucked out and found myself the proud owner of dozens of prepaid processing mailers. The point of my telling this story is that I went crazy, producing many, many bad photographs, not unlike what we often see with digital photographers. The same thing happened when I first got into digital; I found myself shooting like crazy, all the time, and often made many not-very-good images. After a few years with either medium, my quality improved and I settled down into a more contemplative approach to photography. Of course, digital does allow more "waste" but it's not necessary. I think it has more to do with the learning curve than the traits of either medium, at least that was my experience. These days, even with my cell phone camera, I rarely take more than those shots that really get my attention, and I post almost nothing online.