Make test strips.

Even if I think I have the right exposure for a print, I'll still make a test strip with my chosen settings at the center to see if a little more or less exposure will make the picture better.

When I have the base exposure looking the way I want, I still make test strips of different areas on the print to see if dodging or burning would give an improvement. This gives me an exposure above or below the base that I can use to figure out a dodge or burn exposure.

If I want to tone a print, I'll make a test strip and tone it the same way I plan to do the entire print. Sometimes, I'll need to change the print exposure for toning. Test strips help me figure out whether I need to make that change.

Another thing I have learned is, once you think you have a print looking the way you like, let it dry completely. Let it dry overnight or at least for a few hours. It's especially important if you use fiber based paper or if you tone a print. I have often spent a lot of time trying to get a print to look the way I want it only to find that it looks different (darker) the next day after it has dried. I have learned to judge the way a print looks when it is wet compared to when it is dry and I can compensate for that a little bit but I still find it best to just wait until it is fully dry before I make a final decision.

Whether you make test strips or whether you let prints dry before deciding if they are right is up to you but, regardless of your personal methods, I say the bottom line is... TAKE YOUR TIME! DON'T RUSH!