Quote Originally Posted by nworth View Post
Process ECN-2 specifies 3 alternative bleaches, two ferric nitrate and one ferricyanide. Cine Ektachrome processes usually specify a persulfate bleach, which requires a special accelerator prebath. I understand the accelerator has some affect on color and stability, too, but I may be wrong. Print films may use ferricyanide, Ferric-PDTA, or persulfate bleaches alternatively. Most home kits seem to be Ferric-EDTA or Ferric-PDTA. Obviously, you have some flexibility, but there may be a difference in the requirements for positive vs. negative film. Fixers vary a bit, too. They seem to be tailored to the bleach used, adjusting the pH as appropriate. Depending on the process, the fixer pH may be anywhere from 5.0 to 6.5. They are all non-hardening. Those for Ektachrome contain EDTA.

In looking at Kodak publication H24, which only applies to cine products, it is evident that the processes are designed as a system, and that the parts interact. Negative camera films seem to be the most tolerant of variations in the bleach and fixer, but even with them there are limits.
Thanks, good info, yea that's where I get confused, where I can cheat and use a bleach or fixer with more than one film, and where I can't. I'm mostly going to be ONLY using ECN-2 and E-6 and trying to get a system together where I can make it cheap to make small runs of chems from scratch when I want to make a batch and not have to be so stressed about doing 20 rolls at a time to make it economical and instead run 2-4 and not spend $40 worth of chem (which is how it is now with a kit).

But if I can use the same fixer or the same Bleach with both and not have loss in quality of either, that would be best, it's figuring out which I can use with both/all and get away with it safely without adverse effects to the film. Thanks again, good info.