Quote Originally Posted by nextreme View Post
I was just reading about f-stop printing, but it seems to require a timer than can be set to fractions of a second, right ? (mine can't)

Bill, that is a great quote ! it's got me thinking...

I do have a question (for everyone). When you find the min exposure time to get max black using the clear bit of leader, do you use that as the starting time for your test strips ?

Oh, and I too have a half frame camera, a Ricoh Auto Half E. I think I have the negative carrier for it too

Many thanks everyone
Steven

(I will post an update after my next print session, hopefully one night this week)
F-Stop printing is as simple as using the sequence 5 - 10 - 20 - 40 seconds (doubling each step) instead of 5 - 10 - 15 - 20 for your test strips. (I personally use 13 - 16 - 20 - 25 - 32 seconds because it gives me "third-stops"). Unless your times are under 10 seconds you probably won't need fractional second precision.

The minimum-time-to-maximum-black is associated with another "Fred Picker" philosophy, where he would consistently expose negatives to a precise minimum necessary exposure (to look good at that point). In reality your best test strip selections may not relate closely to that black strip printed from the clear leader. Of course if that strip is dingy gray when the rest of the print looks realistic, it might mean you should increase the paper contrast.