Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
The rational side of me realizes that camera manufacturers sees much increased competition from nontraditional competitors - manufacturers of phones, tablets/iPads, even eye glasses (Google) - they realize they can't keep selling something that is increasingly perceived by the general public as something big, bulky, impractical, etc ad nauseum. So they have to do something in this marketplace of commodities.

To me, they should have focused on building premium products, and maintain the ergonomics and design that they have become so famous for. Why not build a camera that is modular and upgradeable? How many of us are tired of things that become obsolete every few years? Example, my iPhone 4 is not only two years old, and even though it's as shiny as it was when I first got it, it feels old somehow. If I could have one where the buttons wouldn't wear out, and I could instead upgrade the 'guts' of the phone, and pay less than I do for a brand new phone, I'd do it in a heart beat. .
I don't buy that first argument. When were hassies anything but premium? The ones that actually got screwed over by everything digital are in-fact the yashicas konicas etc.,

Re the modular system, it's kinda funny, having been in the software world, where emphasis is on re-usability and modularity, I find it weird that a lot of software instead is run or pushed into hardware that isn't modular.

One problem I guess is the size. Beyond a certain size, I guess it's kind of superfluous.

- via tapatalk.