Galvin 2x3 monorail outfit. This comes with a custom adapter allowing for the use of RB67 lenses and their shutters.

Jim Galvin built these cameras largely by hand. Remember that and be amazed with the quality and utility of his creation. Don't expect a Linhoff from it. The camera is a very light, small and usable view camera. It is more usable than any other 2x3 view camera because you do not need to take the back off to use it with standard roll film holders. The available Graphic 23 holder just slips on under it! An RB67 120 back slides right in with nary a hassle. Its quick and easy to use RFHs with this camera.

The camera had an available rail extension, this camera does not have one whether from the factory or not I don't know. The included rail is suitable for use with up to 210mm lenses for portraits, I often used my 210 Topcor on it. It has the full 14" (?) of bellows if one found the extra rail bit. It is pretty quick to remove the standards from the rail and often transport the camera that way. For use with RB67 lenses I typically put both standards on the rear side of the block to better balance the RB's lenses.

The outfit comes with one recessed board, three flat boards (2 aluminum one steel), and the RB67 to Galvin adapter board. The adapter board uses a small lever to cock and preview on the RB67 lens. You use the Mirror-Up on-lens shutter release, open and cock the lens in one motion, return the lens to open position for focusing, then move the lever far the other way to close and ready it, release with the on-lens release, and repeat. One notable effect of this single lever setup is that you must put in a dark-slide between shots as the lens opens during the cocking procedure. Another is that the lens automatically stops down- you focus at wide open regardless of selected aperature and you preview using the on-lens preview lever. A final note is that presuming you are focused at infinity, your RB67 lenses are all focused at the same bellows extension- in practice this makes lens changes much faster because you are not racking the bellows to change the lens.

Btw, I've had two Galvins now. This one has a much better back than the other I owned and the focus matches well. The Polaroid back also registers well, at least I can see no focus shift on the prints, I've never tried scanning the negs.

I should note that the adapter board is obviously of home brew construction. It has a part of the sideplate replaced with gaffers tape, the cocking lever is made from plumbers tape, and the board is wood with black acrylic used for light-proofing. Incidentally that is the same method used on the Galvin polaroid back- whether he made that or not I can't be 100% certain, his gear also often shows itself as having been handmade. That said, this outfit is highly functional.

BTW, did anyone mention how cheap RB67 glass is lately? Or how very sharp it is compared to typical 2x3 lenses that don't cost a small fortune? This is a dirt cheap way to get into high quality 6x9 View Camera use because you can have any RB67 lens and they all cost a song and a dime! The 90 is sickeningly good. The 180 is tack sharp wide open in ways you don't get with 4x5 plasmats. If I keep it I want a 350 APO... one neat thing is that the wind seems to sweep around these lenses more easily than around a bunch of bellows.

You may never find another outfit like this.
Darkcloth not included, $15 extra, is a d-slr raincover.

galvin1.jpg galvin2.jpg galvin3.jpg galvin4.jpg rbgavlinadapter.jpg polaroid1.jpg

Mamiya RB-67 Pro-S with Pro 6x7 120 back and Waist Level Finder. What can I say, great value, everyone should have a couple. This one is a good user grade outfit, works well, I had no light leaks with it and it had the seels replaced by the prior owner. There is a small operational issue, when sliding the top magazine release, it sometimes catches as if the darkslide lock were engaging, fiddle with a bit and it is fine again, but I wanted to mention it.

rb67-1.jpg rb67-2.jpg rb67back.jpg

RB67 unmetered prism, Ex condition, pretty clean, I never use it and it looks like its former owner rarely did either.

rb67prism1.jpg rb67prism2.jpg

Mamiya Rb67 90mm C. This would be an excellent example of the lens except for a pair of tiny nicks on the rear element that you will only notice when cleaning it. If used on the Galvin it offers considerable movements! Shutter sounds good. My exposures have been good. Comes with front and rear caps.

rb90-1.jpg rb90-2.jpg

Mamiya RB67 150mm Soft Focus, includes one disc, shutter sounds ok, glass is still pretty nice but not pristine. The aperture ring is a little loose and the lens body shows more wear than the glass, I'd call the cosmetics Vg+. Put it on the Galvin and pretend you bought an Imagon!

soft1.jpg soft2.jpg