Yes but 2 boxes of tri-x and two boxes of BW400CN film and ONE roll of c-41 color and one amateur pro pack (4 instead of 5) C-41 probably get bought about once every 6 months to a year, no one is buying those... people like us actually buy the freestyle stuff haha (actually I don't because I prefer Ilford for most films and they don't sell to freestyle anymore).

Also I don't consider any of those films to be "premium" films, they are all the consumer market films, regular "all purpose" C-41, 400tx which many pro's use, but isn't a pro film, and I'll give you that "kodak professional" BW400CN says the words 'professional' on it, but isn't used by any professionals I know... I've rarely seen it now and then here on APUG posted in the gallery, but most pro's use true B&W films and is oriented for consumers now since they can get that B&W look and still have it processed at the local drug store.

I recognize that film companies need to make a profit, and I hate to lose a film (like Fuji Provia or Velvia or Neopan400) over lost sales, but they also can't expect us to pay STUPID expensive prices either and sell a lot of film. It would also help us to understand why prices for films aren't consistent, we fall in love with a film, Acros100 for example, shoot it on 35mm, then 120, then we go to use 4x5 and it's twice the price of everything else in the same family, it makes no sense, at least none that we can think of. Is the price from 120 deferred to 4x5 in a market they assume can handle the difference? keeping costs down on the 120 versions? or is there some extreme extra waste associated with producing it in 4x5 that bumps up the cost to double? This pushes us away from a product and onto another different one, and it's easier to be consistent and shoot the same film, so then we might just switch altogether for ease of processing and shooting, not to have to deal with these inconstancies...

Anyway, this is sort of important for AGFA to hear, but also is a bit out of topic, but I don't want it taken down as OT either because it's important to know.

So if you produce APX100 and it's really great, I would buy some, but I would not invest in stock of 120 at $4/roll if a box of 20 4x5's was $65/box and 35mm were $8/roll, make sense? the prices should match so we aren't detracted by comparing those prices to other films which we see as similar. For example FP4+ (25 sheets) is $32/box but Acros100 for only 20 sheets is $56/box ... it makes no sense, it also turns me off from using that film as I feel slighted. But if I were to find out arista had a secret rebranded Acros100 that was in 4x5 for only $32, not only would I buy that, but I would know for sure that I was being price gouged because they obviously can make it much cheaper and still sell it to Arista.

Just some thoughts to ponder...

Quote Originally Posted by zsas View Post
Well said. Even in today's non-film world, premium films are the norm. I hardly see any rolls of Freestyle Arista Premium in the below. Typical American drugstore counter....