I'll repeat the famous line of Mark Twain: "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco". I'm directly across the Bay from
the Golden Gate, so it's even colder here where the wind and evening fog cuts thru. Our local term for it is, "natural air conditioning". The hotter
inland California gets, the more the marine layer is drawn into here, until the fog backs up against the coastal hills. We generally get our warm
weather in Oct, as the differential between the inland climate reaches equilibrium. These marine fogs are soft and enveloping and not at all
clammy and dark like the tule fogs of the Central Valley in winter. They're like a natural softbox, changing throughout the day and according
to altitude on the hills. Wonderful for both color and b&w photog. And its the fog that made our redwoods the tallest trees on earth - they're
essentially fog-collection machines, with the boughs and needed engineered to collect fog and drip in toward the root system. You can be
walking under the redwoods in the summer and have it rain on you. Conversely, in the winter it can be actually raining and the redwoods will
act like a big umbrella. Many times I've set up a view camera under the canopy of a big redwood in the rain.