Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
Dirty borders also prove that you are stubborn... I use them and cannot escape their tyranny... I just can't imagine looking at a print of one of my negatives - without seeing the entire negative. For me it is like seeing the print in person. I have to see it all. For me there is no choice, save yourself.

Since I must use dirty borders, I can tell you what's happening.

It's reflections.

If you paint the edge of the filed negative carrier black, you will still reflect a fair amount of light from the cut-edge of the top and bottom of the negative carrier.

When you don't paint the edges, then you get MORE reflections. These reflections can shoot out and inside the edge of the negative. So you may see echo images of negatives near the border... Or maybe a black/white/black effect.

It all depends on the cut and the finishing of the negative carrier opening.
Bill has it right.

Funnily enough, I have been printing a fair bit recently and have made this choice for a few negatives.

I use an Omega D6 with an Ilford Multigrade 400 head - a diffusion source.

The glassless negative holders are aluminum - painted black on the bottom piece, and white on the top.

The attached example was shot in an RB67 - TMY-2 developed as an experiment in Pyrocat (PMK).

I like the aesthetic for certain photographs, including the sense of three dimensionality it gives to the result of the process.

Unfortunately, the APUG re-sizer seems to defeat my efforts to upload a sharp version of this scanned print.