Quote Originally Posted by semi-ambivalent View Post
Curt,

As a younger man nail guns and Skil Saws worked me over too. I have a pair of fully-in-ear aids ($Big) paid for by my employer's insurance years after I had actually incurred the damage. Couple things:
1. If your hearing loss is not recent, you'll have to learn "how" to hear again. This can take some time. 'Be patient' my hearing aid person told me.
2. If loud noise damaged your hearing to a certain threshold the aids work by amplifying sound to some degree louder than that threshold. In my left ear that was 85dB. I thought it was crazy to blast my already damaged hearing with even louder noise so I stopped wearing them quite a while ago. Vanity also played a part too, I'm sure.

My hearing loss was in a rather narrow band of higher frequencies (the saws) and I can get by OK, but women's voices and sounds like 'H' often fall into that band and I don't hear them. My family is patient but it's a pain at times. Sometimes I think it's getting worse in my left but the right is pretty much that of a guy my age-also not pristine. The aids sit in the drawer and I'm hoping they find a drug that re-grows the hairs in my cochlea at that point where that saw sound impinged. Unlikely. You can do like me and be grateful you have your eyes: Looking at my family is often better than listening to them.

Good luck and hope this helps,
s-wha'?-a
Thanks I appreciate it,

Mine is like an inverted bell curve. The mid range is at the bottom of the 'U' shaped curve so it is missing in a diminishing way. The biggest problem is in noisy places. I've always been pretty good at contextual understanding so if I hear the whole sentence or paragraph I can fill in a lost word. The expensive models have built in Bluetooth so my iPhone and anything else Bluetooth would be wireless. It's been a year so I need to get them. Both ears are the same, interestingly enough. There's an app for that! Iphone had an app called Sound Check. I downloaded it and remarkably the results were the same as the hearing test. It's good for those who want to know but font want to go get it checked. There are two negative aspects to hearing aids, first is the cost, second is vanity or stigma.