Like Ken I started making landscape photographs, partly because of seeing books by Ansel Adams and a couple of British photographers, John Blakemore and Thomas Joshua Cooper, although Tom is American he has lived in the UK for many years. My second reason for making only landscape photographs was an unwillingness to get involved with people, I enjoyed the loneliness of working alone in the landscape. My first mentor told me to "photograph the light and not the landscape", what a wonderful piece of advice that has proven to be. I carried on for about 15 or so years just photographing the light and enjoyed every minute of it until one day I was making photographs at Burling Gap, the beach in Sussex where Bill Brandt made some of his nude photographs, and I decided that I couldn't do this anymore and packed up my cameras.

I struggled for two years making no worthwhile progress in my photography and almost gave it up but my wife told me not to be silly and persuaded me to carry on. It was at this point that I completely changed direction and vision for I decided to photograph the coal miners in my home town for the industry was dying in the UK. My father was a miner and my first job on leaving school in the 50's was underground in the mines so I thought photographing a subject with a mining connection was a good idea. I worked for two years in making the documentary of miners relaxing in their allotments with their vegetables, flowers and pigeons and it represented a major change in the direction of my photography. I still make landscape photographs because I still enjoy the solitude but I much prefer to tell stories with my camera.