A minor but important use for motion film will be archiving. There is a lot of skepticism in the industry about just how permanent any kind of
digital record will be. Rapid obsolescence is the whole key to the continued growth of the current electronics industry - today's technology
making sure yesterday's won't work any more, and coming up with something yet again. Pretty much the Tower of Babel for profit - nobody will be able to communicate with another generation, in this case visually. I'm sure I'll get flak for stating this - but all one has to do is look up all the chatter in the industry itself to understand it's a real issue. But cine film affects still film production only to a certain extent. The products are different, even the base material tends to be different. Not all still films are related in this respect either. ... and while the dust has yet to settle for that particular industry, the reorganization of Kodak into a smaller dedicated entity is actually good news in terms of sustainability. Things get based on real demand and real profit instead of a lot of stock market ballyhoo, with one division subsidizing venture in another. If film ends up costing more, so be it - I'll just have to skip paying to see another movie not worth watching anyway.