I always thought that one's vision was not subject dependent--that it didn't really matter if one photographed landscapes or buildings or people. It was how one photographed them that revealed your vision.

I have always photographed all kinds of subject matter.

My book, "A Visual Journey", (from my 25-year retrospective at the Eastman House in 1990) traces how my vision changed--from often close-up, bold, "abstract" photographs, to photographs that were "all-over," to, eventually, photographs that were more a fusion of the two--sometimes leaning more one way than the other--and then back again.

On a shamelessly commercial note, I'll mention that there are 176 reproductions in the book and that the lengthy essay by someone who knows my work well does an excellent job of explaining just how my vision evolved--hence the title of the book. The book ws published by Lodima Press (Paula's and my publishing company) to extremely high quality. It sells for $85. If anyone reading this wants a copy, I'll sell it to you for $75--and waive the shipping (if not overseas), and offer a money-back guarantee if you are not satisfied. Contact me off-forum if interested.s

I make this offer and mention this here because the subject of the book deals exactly with the topic of this discussion (as well as being about me and my work.)

Michael A. Smith