Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
Your results show that the Part B proportion used in TANK solution is much higher than in REPLEN. The most obvious explanation for this is that Part B contains restrainers (similar to byproducts from the film). This would also explain why SM chemicals don't need a "starter;" the key ingredients are already available by rebalancing the existing components (you increase the component containing the "starter chemicals").
Excellent. That was my hunch given what I could Google about hydroxylamine sulfate. Thanks for corroborating—it makes me feel a lot better.

I have quite a lot of color neg processing experience, and have NEVER found a freshly made tank solution to match a seasoned mix. Generally they are somewhat close, but not good enough for critical matching work (anyone who knows what a VCNA or PVAC is, will know what I mean). The fresh processor solutions will always show shifts in the process control charts as they become seasoned. (In fact, different film mixes will shift the control chart plots to different positions.)
I see! I read about this in the Z101 publication, but they don't say much about how long it takes for a working solution to become well-seasoned. How long does it take?

If I were in your shoes, I'd just mix per your calculations, and run the control strip for a "reality check" (I'd be pretty surprised if everything was within "spec limits). If you don't know what everything means on the control strip, an actual film test is probably more useful.
Okay! Cool. I'll develop another test roll of cheap film. If it comes out looking somewhere in the ballpark of normal, then I'll run a test strip just for kicks. I don't know what control strips mean, but it's about time I learned.