Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dougherty View Post
I do think these are excellent points...

On another note, I first started seeing this pervasive use of ultra wides in early 1990s skateboard photography...
I think some of the use of ultra-wides for skateboard photography came from a need/desire to position the camera in such a way as to capture the skateboarder in motion, from a particular angle. It obviated the need to compose/focus while the skateboarder was riding right at the camera at speed, and it conveyed a sense of dramatic motion. Throw a 14mm fisheye on a camera and you can put it down on the edge of a skate ramp and trigger it remotely as the skaters pass it and do tricks over it and they'll still be in the frame. Not so easy to do with a 35mm. I think it evolved from a somewhat practical response to a need into a "style", kinda like wearing your jeans halfway down off your ass to show off your boxer shorts (convicts in maximum security facilities were issued one-size-fits-all pants and no belts, therefore the pants would droop. Their children on the outside, and their kids' friends, would take it up and emulate it for the very worst of possible reasons).