Quote Originally Posted by tron_ View Post
A friend of mine and I talk quite a bit about how passionate we are about our hobbies. He's a really talented guitar player and I'm a really uhh....well I'm a photographer :P. But I also have a huge passion for motorsports. You get the idea.

He has talked about moving to a new city so he could be a part of a larger pool of musicians in an effort to form a band since we live in a very "compartmentalized" artistic area (Detroit). There are definitely artists here but the true artists seem to stay to themselves unlike the many "poseurs" in the area. Yes being in a band is a lot different than being a photographer since photography is usually a one man show but the idea made me curious.

It makes me realize that for a city as large as we live in, I have NEVER seen anyone else shooting film. And I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've seen a digital shooter out taking photographs.

On the other hand when I went to Tokyo, film culture was enormous there and more people seemed aware of film still being around.

This makes me think, do you guys live in a place with lots of photographers? What do you say to them if your paths cross? Just a fun thread I guess, I wasn't sure where else to put it.

-Tron
I know a number of Detroitians who are serious film photographers, and there are thousands of photos of the urban decay there being taken every day and showing up online. As much fun as it is to travel for photography, it's a self-imposed blindness to what can be photographed in our own backyards that makes people feel the need to move, or even just vacation, to find "photogenic" subject matter. I'm lucky in a sense that I live in a target-rich environment in a rapidly evolving neighborhood here in Washington DC, so if nothing else I have lots of change I can document. But if nature and landscape are more your thing, there are tons of places to go within a 2-hour driving radius of the city. If people are your thing, there's people everywhere. About the only subject matter I can't photograph around DC is underwater - the Potomac River is too muddy most of the time, and too cold half the year to swim in. But if I want to shoot ON the water, there's the Potomac, and not too far away, the Chesapeake Bay. So the only restriction I face is self-imposed.