Color Blixes are not very poisonous at all!
Cyanide, Mercury and they Hydroxides are the most lethal with many other surprises. Ancell and Troop (and Me too) rank Pyrogallol and Catchol as some of the most poisonous chemicals along with Selenium.
The book Overexposure is way over the top and just plain WRONG in many cases. For example, it lists EDTA as a poison, but it is used intravenously for heavy metal poisoning. In other words, it is a remedy for Mercury exposure.
BTW, drinking solutions of strong acids or bases will kill you, but it is the most painful and agonizing death imaginable.
I think that it is useful to order the toxicity of your chemistry, but remember that thousands of workers at EK have used these for years, and at worst, I believe there were a few cases of dermatitis. We wore proper protection, and the problems arose when we did not follow the rules.
As an added thought, Coke, Pepsi and other "colas" contain a hefty dose of Phosphoric Acid. That is the baddie in there that can hurt you in high doses. It is dilute in the colas, but remember the old time "Phosphates"? That is what they were. Sugar, Carbonation and Phosphoric Acid with a flavoring.
Last edited by Photo Engineer; 08-07-2013 at 07:35 PM. Click to view previous post history.
Reason: The afterthought.