Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
If you need something forgiving, don't be using slide film.

And Chan Tran added" "But if it was say Ektar 100 or a 100 ISO color negative film then it's actually worst because color negative film has no tolerance for underexposure."

Actually, I beg to differ with both statements.
Forgiving or not, e-6 films have a fairly wide exposure latitude that can be realized through correct processing, i.e., pushing and pulling the film. When exposures errors are made that can't be corrected completely in the procesing, in urgent situations, dupes can be made on Ektachrome Duplication film to increase and decrease contrast, boost some (though not much) detail in shadows while holding the highlights areas during processing of that film, and a couple of other helpful tricks.

This usually isn't such a big deal if the entire roll suffered the same maladies. The problem is compounded when you have a whole roll of various subjects that's been misexposed. Then once you find your set up for correcting one frame, you have to find it with just about all of them and that's a real time-consuming process altough doable.

As to Color stock, it's very versatile stuff. As I said earlier, a good printer should be able to get excellent print quality from a negative that's under or over exposed four stops either way. Ask someone in a professional grade color processing lab. In fact, most pros shoot C-41 film at least one full stop over to get better color saturation, and I sometimes go 1 1/2 stops over shooting agriculture products. That's used to be particularly true of Vericolor S (exposed at 80-100 instead of 160ISO) and others. But you should experiment and match your processing (or lab) to the film and use their recommendations as well.
Mark