Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Wagg View Post
Unlike 35mm where there are myriads of choice and medium format where for the most part you stick with the lens of the system you choose, large format is to me to be the place where all the serious photographic work has been and continues to be done.
Really?

I find that odd for as a professional shooter who uses 35mm, 120 and 4x5 to earn good money off of landscapes, the mindset around the subject, light, timing and emotional connection to that subject is far more the "serious work" over what format I may choose to use. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying LF can not lead to serious imagery, but to be 100% honest, I find a lot of the work I see in LF to be very boring in terms of being a great photograph or not.

Now if your focus is coming up with a bigger technically well put together negative regardless of it is a good photo or not, then yes, 4x5 and larger will allow you to do that. But if the end result is a photograph with the most impact, you probably ought to lose the gear mindset and work on more important aspects of photography.

I still find I do my best work overall with 120, it is the best combination of fast setup and reaction time, dust prevention and large enough negative to make very nice silver gel prints from....