Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
I'd agree that film storage would, in practice, attract extra costs for monitoring, security, temperature, etc., as you suggest, to make the best of the permanence.

But, surely, digital media would attract similar costs, even ignoring the lack of permanance (what's the life of a CD or a hard drive?) and the obsolescence of the media.

The business where I worked 15 years ago used Zip Drives for data storage...the present boss told me recently that they now have no means of reading the disks. Fortunately the records are obsolete and no longer needed, otherwise it would have been a major and expensive task to bring it forward onto more modern media.

as I say in the blog -- a major advantage of film for long-term storage is that the technology to read it is pretty simple -- light and a lens. Just about any society with moderate machining and optical infrastructure can duplicate it, even if they have no initial idea what they need to build.

Rebuilding an iOmega ZIP drive is another matter -- not to mention the software to read the files. That's where the huge costs come in -- constantly updating and migrating files, not physical storage.