Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
I strongly suspect this has entirely to do with scaning, but it still looks like I might have to do yet another controlled pressure test for TMY micro-reticulation, this time with Rodinal. Not again!!!

Hydroxide is the reason Rodinal is grainy with either exact temperatures or +/- 1C. I know Ian and I will never agree on that but the relationship between a high pH and granularity is more complicated than just softening of the gelatin (which I doubt is happening with well hardened TMax anyway).
Michael as you know from previous posts I can only go by actual experience. Many people claim Rodinal causes grainier negatives, I can show negatives that refute that with superb fine grain, but then I can also show a film with excessive grain from a film batch I had no problems with processed with my equipment and chemistry by someone else.

Some of the highest quality 35mm prints I've seen were processed in Rodinal, but then the photographer had worked (& assisted) a master of control - Minor White.

Agfa's APX100 processed in Rodinal was probably the best film/developer combination after APX25 was dropped but Rodinal and Tmax100 was comparable although Tmax 100's true speed is EI50 a stop slower.

The bottom line is good tight processing technique leadds to very much higher quality negatives.

Ian