Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
I'll have to do another set of prints to do the dmax readings as one of the print got shipped off. I can do this though, just give us some time. The paper was Stonehenge.

As for archival, our chemist (Phd), says that because silica is in a pure form and is completely environmentally stable, it should have zero net effect on archival stability. Our joking test is to take a print after it dries, tape it to the front door and let it face the New Mexico sun at 7,000' for a few days. The same sun that bleaches the plastics on my car in less that 2 weeks. In that highly unscientific test, it behaved just like any other PD/PT print.
Okay thanks if you could report on the dmax readings that would be helpful. Its interesting that you are using Stonehenge, the only way i got stonehenge to work in the past is by pre-treating with an acid bath. I presume you had not acid pre-treated the stonehenge before applying the fumed silca? The paper does have a nice finish to it when it works with a good dmax around 1.40 to 1.50.

In relation to the archival qualities of applying silica as a base for platinum/palladium printing I will defer to your PhD scientist as its not a something I am familiar with. I suspect those who are more scientifically qualified than myself might also have an opinion thats worth sharing.