Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post

Regarding mechanical stability, i've never been able to see my fingerprints on the paper (it's kinda like a lustre finish). Of course, I also wasn't eating potato chips either at the time. For spotting, we've used the same dyes, knife methods as one would perform on traditional prints with no ill-effect. Is there a specific test you would be interested in me performing?

A little history: this type of coating was used heavily back in the day of blueprints. The patents show that the companies used it for increased contrast, sharpness, and paper stability. I have no way to guess how many millions of square feet this stuff was used, but some of the largest cyano companies employed this technique. In fact, we are doing some testing on a new paper that seems they might have caught wind and started applying this as well.
Thanks Klainmeister, no I don't have any test you would perform for me, thank you for your kind offer. I would prefer to do my own testing before, if I ever decide to use silica fume in a production situation. BTW, I'm absolutely not concerned about the chemical effects of silica fume on the image since silica is pretty stable / inert stuff, my only concern was the mechanical effects but your remark about the usage of this type of coating in Blueprinting industry gave me quite a confidence; most blueprints are made on thin paper and meant to last...

Regards,
Loris.